Sunday, January 28, 2007
I finally designed a bookmark. I started out with just rings and chains, then thought, how about a clover? So I did a clover on an end and joined the rings on the way back to where I started. Did another clover and fastened off. I liked the look of it, but it had too much negative space. Then I got the idea of doing more rings and chains, but alternating sides of the original piece with the second piece. Whalla!! A Celtic bookmark. I like the look of it.;-) Maybe now I will brodden my design capabilities.(HeHe!!)
Friday, January 26, 2007
This is another mit with a heart that again I didn't have a pattern for, just tatted. It even held its shape without being manipulated.
This one is actually done on a red sparkled felt. The celtic cross I did in size 20 DMC thread and the pattern is Ruth Perry's Trefoil knot cross. I made a couple of mistakes, but it still has the general look it should.
This one is also done on red sparkle felt. The flower is another one of Ruth Perry's designs. It is the small celtic knot flower in her book Celtic tatting Knots & Patterns. The thread is size 8 pearl cotton. These mits are a nice way to pass an hour or two, once the tatting is done.
Saturday, January 20, 2007
This is the start of another mitten ornament/gift bag. I made the hearts with Multi's embellishment yarn. It doesn't say what size it is, but I think it is around a size 5. I made the 2 hearts and intertwined them and then sewd them down to the felt. I did not follow any pattern, but just followed the flow of the chain and went with it.
Saturday, January 13, 2007
These are the earrings that Ruth Perry put on the tatting calendar. I have been wanting to do some earrings and figured that these would be a good start. I did them in size 8 pearl cotton.
I think I have the horses head shape figured out (on the left). I put beads in for the mane and for the eye. The one on the right I had to add thread and I guess I didn't do it quite right for it gave me a funny look. I like the beads for it gives it a little more dimension. Just have to figure out how to fill in the negative space in the middle of it's head.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Not exactly tatting, but fun just the same. I got this pattern from the "For the love of sewing" email list. My oldest loves penguins, so had to do one.
Even though it was done by hand, I had this little guy done in about an hour. All the pieces are sewn, not glued or bonded. Need to go and get more colors of felt so I can play with other kinds of designs.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
I am playing with this design to try to make it more lifelike. May even try to continue to make the body yet. This little horse head is done with about size 80 DMC thread. I tried to put a bead in for its eye, but it turned out to be more centered than I wanted. May try to put this one on a necklace for it is small enough, but too big for earrings. Still working out how to make them into earrings though. Would make a nice set for anyone who loves horses.
I am playing with the idea of this set of the challenge to try to modify desings to make my own or just design my own out of my head. This I think will be a little more challenging and take me more than 2 months to finish, but you never know. :0)
Thursday, January 4, 2007
Couldn't wait to get started. Here is #1 of my second set of the 25 motif challenge.
I made this bookmark from Size 20 Opera thread. I got the idea for this bookmark while trying to get the center of a doily right. Thought about it for a while and came up with this. Not sure if there is a pattern similar to this or not.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007
Happy New Year. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
It's hard to see on the scan, but I decided to add beads to Ruth Perry's Celtic Cross. I like the effect for the beads show through on both sides and givesd them added character
Here is a keychain I made of a horse head. I used Debbie Arnolds
sea horse as inspiration. I have done a couple others changing the pattern even more. I am almost satisfied with the design.